Your home is supposed to be your sanctuary, which is why finding pests can invoke feelings of panic. After all, the safety of your home and family is in jeopardy. There are countless different pests and they all leave unique traces behind, but it’s typically easy to notice signs. If you find evidence of pests, the chances are there are more around. Throughout this article, we’ll tell you what to do after finding signs of pests in your Bristol home.
Table of Contents
The Most Obvious Signs of Pests
Different types of pests leave different signs behind, but you will always spot some similarities, including:
- Footprints. If your unwanted visitor has feet, they’ll likely leave prints somewhere. You can leave some flour out on the floor to try and catch them.
- Droppings. Droppings are an obvious sign of pests. You may not know which pest you have, but you’ll know to investigate further.
- Mice, rats, and other pests will make nests by using materials around the home. You can look out for the shredded paper.
- Foul Odour. Certain pests leave a distinct smell behind, so be alert to anything unusual in the air.
- Sounds. You may hear the sound of scurrying in the walls or the sound of insects.
- Damage to property. Look for chew marks, staining, and damage to woodwork.
Reach Out to Bristol Pest Control
After discovering an infestation, you will need to contact a high-end Pest Controller Bristol, like Advance Pest Control Bristol, who will come and assess the situation and put clearance measures in place. Even if your pest problem feels insignificant, it’s important to call in Expert Bristol Pest Control. If you leave everything too late, the problem can escalate, and you’ll be looking at a bill larger than you had hoped.
Contact Insurance Providers
Depending on the pest and the extent of the infestation, you may have significant damage to your home, which will likely cost a lot to repair. Fortunately, depending on your policy, your home insurance may cover the damage. You will likely need to provide evidence, which you can obtain by taking pictures and collecting statements from pest controllers.
Put Preventative Measures in Place
After successfully dealing with pest infestation and repairing your home, it’s time to put preventative measures in place, which will stop pests from returning. Here is a list of tactics we recommend:
- Treat all timber with repellents, especially in basements and attics.
- Clean regularly, especially in the back of food cupboards, behind shelving units, and under kitchen appliances.
- Examine your home for any holes or cracks and have them sealed up.
- Make sure your entire home is pest-proof by making sure roof tiles and bricks aren’t damaged.
- Fix areas of dampness quickly because some pests love moist conditions.
- Clear clutter including rubbish. Leaving food and dirt around your home will make it appealing to countless pests.
Regardless of the species, pests aren’t pleasant. If you find signs of pests in your home, make sure you call a control service immediately and put preventative measures in place.