Working in the IT industry, you must be aware of the value ITIL holds and the lucrative opportunities that present themselves to contenders having ITIL foundation and practitioner certification. Companies are on a constant lookout for professionals who can leverage the best practices of the ITIL framework to enhance the performance of their IT Service Management.
In order to take advantage of these prospects, you need to first get familiar with the concepts of ITSM and should prepare for ITIL 4 foundation training in New York. The learning roadmap is quite straightforward thereon. Choose your field of interest – ITIL Managing Professional or ITIL Strategic Leader, and then go on to become an ITIL Master.
As you kick start your journey as an ITIL professional, first comes the job interview which you need to crack. Here are the eminent 50 ITIL interview questions & answers to help you as a fresher or experienced candidate to better prepare and bag that dream job.
Table of Contents
Q1: Enlist the benefits of ITIL for companies.
- Efficient alignment of IT with business objectives
- Support for constant and abrupt business changes
- Management of business risks and service disruption
- Better utilization of resources, resulting in cost-effectiveness
- Enhance customer relationships with a focus on service delivery to attain customer satisfaction
Q2: What are the different stages of the ITIL lifecycle?
- Service Strategy – Designing plans/strategies for the complete project cycle to be in synchronization with the business’s objective to derive value for customers
- Service Design – Outlining services & additional components to be introduced in a live environment
- Service Transition – IT services are built & deployed while ensuring changes to service and service management processes are coordinated
- Service Operation – focus on making sure end-user expectations are met while managing costs and potential issues
- Continual Service Improvement (CSI) – quality management by learning from previous instances and improving the efficiency of IT processes & services
Q3: Define ITIL and elaborate on its features.
ITIL or Information Technology Infrastructure Library is a collation of guidelines and the best practices of IT Service Management, enabling companies to align services with objectives. ITIL helps professionals and companies to constantly deliver excellent IT services and gain a competitive edge.
Some features of ITIL are:
- Optimization of existing activities
- Constant delivery of quality services
- The core focus on IT
- Collaboration of tasks, roles, and processes
- Standard language and terminology
Get acquainted with these questions by taking the ITIL certification course in Austin.
Q4: Ponder upon the working of the Incident Management System.
- Registering incidents
- Categorizing incidents based on their impact and urgency
- Authorizing the incident
- Recovering from the incident occurrence
Q5: Why is Incident Management important? (Objectives of Incident Management)
- To efficiently align incident management activities
- To focus on customer & user satisfaction
- To report & resolve incidents in IT services as they occur
- To confirm the application of approved & regulated practices for all processes, including response, analysis, management, and documentation
Q6: What processes are leveraged by the Service Desk?
Service Desk is the major point of contact between users and service providers. Users can register their concerns, queries, and requests at the service desk, and its successful operation involves great customer satisfaction with skills like emotional intelligence and empathy.
Q7: Explain SLA and what are the different types?
Service Level Agreement, abbreviated as SLA, is a commitment between the end-user and a service provider. There are 3 types of SLA:
- Vendor SLA – between company and vendor
- Internal SLA – between the company and internal customer, could be a department or other organization
- Customer SLA – between the company and external customer
Know more about ITIL 4 foundation certification in Austin and practice the ITIL mock exam to score better.
Q8: What is the goal of ITIL Problem Management?
The problem Management module focuses on the following aspects:
- Identifying and mitigating recurring incidents
- Diagnosing the root cause of recurring incidents
- Preventing the recurrence of incidents
Q9: What are the process steps in Problem Management?
- Detecting the problem
- Categorizing the problem and deciding priority
- Investigating root cause
- Finding a solution to the problem
- Initiating known error record
- Resolving the problem
- Closing the problem
- Reviewing the problem
Q10. What are the 4P’s of ITIL?
Q11. Expound on Service Value System.
The service Value System entails different components and activities relevant to service management that are applied in coordination to generate value. It includes:
- Guiding Principles
- Service Value Chain
- Continual Improvement
Being qualified with the ITIL foundation and practitioner makes it easier for you to crack these interviews.
Q12: What are the Guiding Principles for the Service Value System?
Guiding Principles are designed to enable companies to make the most of ITIL. These principles are applicable, irrespective of scenario, structure, management, type of work, goal, strategy, or objective. The seven Guiding Principles are:
- Stay value-focused
- Start where you are
- Progress repeatedly with feedback
- Collaborate & promote visibility
- Holistic thinking and working
- Simplicity with practicality
- Optimization & Automation
Q13: Speaking of the Service Value Chain, what is the objective of ‘Design & Transition’?
The Design and transition component of the Service Value Chain is aimed at enabling the organization to ensure that services & products meet the quality levels, are cost-effective, and are at par with the requirement standards of the stakeholders.
Q14: What is the importance of the ‘Engage’ module in the Service Value Chain?
Engaging in the Service Value Chain is vital to understanding the stakeholders, ensuring transparency, maintaining dialogue, and building a commending relationship between the firm and stakeholders.
Q15: What are the measuring parameters in IT Service Management?
- Progress – to measure the advancing of current service operations
- Compliance – to ensure services & operations are as per market standards and current processes
- Effectiveness – to confirm the effectiveness of services is maintained
- Efficiency – to maintain workflow and perform service maintenance
Q16: Elaborate on the role of Service Operation in ITIL.
Service Operation in ITIL evaluated the value of IT services. It helps to deliver & support IT services as per the satisfaction level of everyone involved in the process. It acts as a point of contact (service desk) and detects services that are to be completed within the service catalog.
Surge your chance of cracking ITIL interviews for a dream job by enrolling for online ITIL training in Boston.
Q17: What is a known error?
A Known Error is an identified problem with root cause and solution. Its elements are:
- Error Description
- Root Cause
Q18: What is the purpose of Configuration Management in ITIL?
The purpose of Configuration Management is to receive, collect, manage, store, and verify data related to IT assets and configuration.
Q19: Enlist the objectives of IT Service Continuity Management.
- Analysis of risks involved
- Checking backing out situations
- Finalizing a back-out arrangement
Q20: How do you differentiate between a process and a project?
A process is continuous with no end date, while a project has a fixed timespan.
If you wish to explore the ITIL qualification roadmap elaborately, get yourself enrolled in an ITIL certification course in Austin or take online ITIL training in Boston, and boost your career graph in terms of skill set as well as salary. One brownie tip though, as you take exams for different certification levels, make sure to practice using the ITIL mock exam.
To further your career as an ITIL professional, check out the ITIL certification course in Austin or online ITIL training in Boston and live a lavish life with a higher salary.